Sunday, May 07, 2006

Did I also get thrown out?

I've been in a little bit of a slump with the blog recently, as you've seen. I'm still looking for that one well hit entry that will send me on my way to a hot streak. I don't think this is gonna be it.

Did you see that Bonds homer tonight? Hit the facing of the upper deck in Citizens Bank. It was truly one of the longest homers I've seen. Bonds is now at 713 and I have a feeling he's probably going to pass Babe Ruth. Ah well. MLB has said they won't have any ceremony to honor Bonds when he does it, which has been met with some criticism by people who don't understand that Hank Aaron is the all time home run leader and breaking absolutely no record whatsoever isn't cause for celebration.

The Phillies are red hot right now, with 8 straight wins pulling them over .500. I was getting nervous that they wouldn't win enough games to disappoint their fans by falling just short again - glad that Charlie Manuel has righted the ship.

Crazy 2nd inning at Shea today. For those who didn't see it, Jose Lima got Brian Jordan to ground into a double play, only to have the play ruled dead because Lima had balked. I don't think I've ever seen that happen. Sinensky posed an interesting question - what if Jordan had hit a homer? Could the Braves have declined the balk as a team can decline a penalty? Anybody know? Then, Paul LoDuca missed a tag on Marcus Giles coming home on a John Smoltz quasi-bunt. Or so Angel "I openly cheat for the Braves in close plays at the plate when they're playing the Mets" Hernandez called it. LoDuca pulled a David Cone circa Mets-Braves in Atlanta in 1990 and argued the play while it was still alive, allowing the runners to advance. Also something you don't see. LoDuca got ejected. Then to cap it all off Bobby Cox argued that John Smoltz, who wasn't allowed to advance, should have been, and he got ejected. Both sides getting ejected on the same play that wasn't a brawl - never seen that one. With all this, though, the strangest thing was still that Jose Lima was allowed to start a major league game.

5 Comments:

Blogger adam20ss said...

When a balk is called, the team at bat can choose if they want the balk or the result of the play. So a home run would have counted.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the Times today, Lima said that Angel Hernandez told him "You're not Smoltz, you don't get his strike zone" or something to that extent. Hernandez is truly one of the worst umpires in the Majors.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hot.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But not as hot as me. Check out my web site http://www.annabenson.net/main.htm

11:52 PM  
Blogger adam20ss said...

it's a real good thing we have the word verification system here.

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home