Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Roundup

Happy March everybody. As you know, March goes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. I remember one year in school we made a lion and a lamb out of construction paper in honor of the expression. I thought it was kind of a waste of time, but my teacher said, "Eric, if you expect to pass the 11th grade, you're going to make that lion and lamb. And your fingerpainting assignment was subpar as well." I didn't go to a very good high school.

So Bret Boone retired, thus increasing the chances that Kaz Matsui will be the Mets' second baseman on opening day. This, in turn, increases the chances that I will vomit repeatedly on opening day.

More players withdrew from the WBC today. Vlad withdrew for personal reasons in the wake of the family tragedy he recently suffered. CC Sabathia and Billy Wagner also withdrew, to be replaced by Al Leiter and Gary Majewski. That is just about the worst substitution I've ever heard of in my entire life. Well, there was that one time I went to Prime Grill and after ordering my food the waiter said, "I'm sorry sir, we're out of steak - but we do have a hobo cadaver in the back, would you like that instead?" That was probably wor...no, no, the Leiter/Majewski thing is worse. Hopefully Team USA will overcome this setback and make do with the remaining 24 All Stars on their roster.

Manny Ramirez arrived at Red Sox camp today. Yeah, when he dresses up like Mariah Carey, let me know. Until then, I'm not all that interested in the pointless Manny updates.

Speaking of arriving in camp, Mr. Sinensky and I will be in attendance at spring training next week. We first thought about it Monday and booked it Tuesday. How's that for fast action? The tentative schedule is Mets-Astros in Port St. Lucie on Tuesday, Marlins-Red Sox in Jupiter on Wednesday, and Orioles-Twins in Fort Lauderdale on Thursday. I'm going because I've never been to spring training and figure I won't get to go to for quite some time if I don't go now. Also, I'm kind of desperate for things to post, and I'll obviously go to great lengths for some material. I'm hoping to file a report each day, internet access permitting. Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Blogger Av said...

This expression reminds me of when I was in 10th grade and YU was threatening to shut down MTA, so we had a massive protest in front of norman lamms office and chanted "save the lion (mta's sports name) kill the lamb" good times indeed

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You stole my comment!!

1:46 PM  
Blogger adam20ss said...

I was at YU then and went to an MTA basketball game that season (played at YU), and in response to a not-so-nice chant by the MTA faithful the opposing fans started chanting: "Shut-It-Down! Shut-It-Down!"

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home