Sunday, February 26, 2006

Stuff

Don Knotts passed away today. I'll miss Barney Fife/Mr. Furley, but not as much as Andy Griffith, who told this to the AP: "I loved him very much. We had a long and wonderful life together." Uhhhh....? Just what the hell was going on in Mayberry anyway?

Got our Mets tickets today. Opening day, Mets-Yankees, and August 8th, which is Mike Piazza Triumphant Return Night. We got great seats; we'll be in excellent position to wave to the passengers on the Jet Blue flights ten feet over our heads. I didn't know there was a row T in the Shea upper deck, but you learn something new every day. The first Mets fan started camping out at Shea on Tuesday. That's what we call, "demented." I can see camping out. But you don't get extra fan points for wasting needless effort on lunacy. You'll still be in line for any seats you want if you come on Saturday night. And that would show plenty of devotion. But the guy who was first got his picture taken with Howard Johnson, Tim Teufel, Sid Fernandez, Mookie Wilson, and, most importantly, Mr. Met, so I guess it was worth it for him.

Kenny Williams had some harsh words directed at Frank Thomas. Thomas criticized the White Sox handling of his free agency, and Williams has now said, ""If he was any kind of a man, he would quit talking about things in the paper and return a phone call or come knock on someone's door. If I had the kind of problems evidently he had with me, I would go knock on his door...We don't miss his attitude. We don't miss the whining. We don't miss it. Good riddance. See you later." Somebody tell Williams that his effort is appreciated, but I think he's too old to be cast on the Real World/Road Rules Challenge, so while MTV may have taken notice of his audition, there's little they can do. Very mature all around folks. Ozzie Guillen, for his part, said, "I won't put my nose in something above me," Guillen said. "He never mentioned my name and if you don't mention my name, I try to stay away from every part of the conversation." Yeah. Tell the folks over at Lack of Self Awareness Monthly that they have a cover man for the next issue.

CBS Sportsline has a bizzaro roto draft - the idea being to assemble the worst team possible. This is a great idea both as an article and as an actual league to create with friends, and I can't believe I haven't seen it before. Check it out here. http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/fantasy/story/9265254

Reports are that Barry Bonds arrived at Giants camp today in a dark green polo shirt. More on this riveting story as it unfolds in this wildly interesting saga.

Brian Lawrence and Kip Wells are both due to miss significant portions of the season with injuries. This is tough for the Pirates, as it may cost them a chance at winning 75 games this year. Wells has gotten worse each of the last 2 seasons, and one has to wonder if he really is the Pirates' future anyway. As for Lawrence, he wasn't assured of a spot in the Nationals rotation, although the more options the better. Maybe Frank Robinson should put Lawrence in his doghouse now and get that out of the way so that Lawrence can be out of it when he comes back later in the year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you think getting tix for Padres game in hope of seeing Piazza at this point is kind of risky? He hasn't been Mr. Healthy the past few years, and even when healthy not an everyday player. Now you've probably jinxed him, good going jackass.

I've seen the bad roto team thing done for fantasy football the past few years, by the guys at footballoutsiders.com. Never participated in a league

1:16 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Don't forget the Incredible Mr. Limpet.

PS I'm still waiting for Rakim to show up here.

PPS I'm making an effort to always post comments not at all related to baseball.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home