Thursday, January 26, 2006

Info nugget

You guys are looking like a sympathetic crowd tonight. A crowd that understands that I still have a lot of work left on my article and don't have much time to figure out what to say after a very quiet day in baseball. So I thank you. But I'll give you a little something.

Happy birthday (on Friday) to 2003 ROTY Angel Berroa, who turns 28. Wait a sec, Angel Berroa. That's a hispanic name. Oh, he was born in the Dominican Republic. So happy birthday to 2003 ROTY Angel Berroa, who turns 42. Berroa, as you folks know, hasn't been that successful in the 2 years since his rookie year. Last week Ben Grieve's name prompted me to offer my nominee for worst ROTY of the 1990s. Berroa isn't the worst ROTY of the 2000s for three obvious reasons. One, the decade is only half over. Two, we don't have nearly enough perspective on Berroa's career to make that kind of determination. Three, if we were to ignore one and two, we couldn't deprive Eric Hinske of his much deserved honor.

Anyway, those who don't pore over these lists as often as I do might be wondering: "Eric, please, I must know, what was the BEST year for ROTYs?" Ok, I'll tell you. I think it's a 1 and 1a kind of thing. 1 is 1967, when Tom Seaver won the NL award with the Mets (Mets baseball!!!) and Rod Carew won the AL award with the Twins. Both pretty good players. 1a goes to 1956 when Frank Robinson won the NL award with the Reds and Luis Aparacio won it with the White Sox. 2001 could join as 1b depending on the career paths of Albert Pujols and Ichiro Suzuki, but that's a long way off. I think there are a number of candidates for the worst year for ROTYs, and that'll be my next post when there's nothing of real importance to say.

Enligthened?

1 Comments:

Blogger The Mink said...

How bout a vote for former Brewers Shortstop Pat Listach?

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home