Monday, January 16, 2006

WBC

Team USA announced 42 players on its roster for the World Baseball Classic today. The roster is a who's who of all stars including Roger Clemens, Roy Halladay, Brad Lidge, Derek Jeter, Mark Teixeira, and Barry Bonds. It's so good to see that baseball has made such inroads in the United States that their national team can boast so many great players. I don't think anybody back in 1810 would have thought that it would be possible. So kudos, Team America, you scrappy group of go-getters. Anyway, the remaining 18 players will be named by 5 pm Tuesday. Between now and then I'll be very busy not giving a flying fuck about who is and isn't on the Team USA roster.

In March though, I'll be into the tournament, without question, as I think most of us will be. I'm even going to join a pool. I feel like I'm probably going to pick Duke this year to win at all. But that really isn't for now, we'll talk about the NCAA tournament when it's time. Say, by the way, when is the WBC supposed to take place? Oh, what's that? It's going right up against the NCAA tourney? Well that's a shame, because that will probably distract me from focusing on not giving a shit about the WBC as it's taking place.

Just what does MLB expect us to do about this thing in the US? Walk around with an American flag, proudly screaming that the US is gonna kick the other countries' asses? That form of behavior may be acceptable if you're a guy in Alabama with a trucker hat and a mullet or you're at a WWE match between Hulk Hogan and the Iron Sheik. But I'm not feeling it. I guess it's because if you're going to root for a team you want to be able to rub it in the opposing fans' faces when you win. But I don't think that fits for this thing. "Hey, Latino guy on the street, where are you from? The Dominican Republic? Well Team USA just beat you guys in the WBC!!! So fuck you! We're better than you!!" I know, while I'm at it, why don't I shave my head and beat the guy sensless with a baseball bat. Because it feels like part of a natural progression. Hey, maybe that would be a good tagline for MLB to use to promote this: "The World Baseball Classic: An Excuse to Act Like a Xenophobic Racist Idiot."

I have other thoughts on this stupid thing, which I'll hold until it's going on. In the meantime, I'm going to use my brainpower on more valuable things, like speculating on where Daryle Ward is going to sign.

2 Comments:

Blogger If I Ran The World said...

So just for clarification, xenophobia is bad?

7:24 AM  
Blogger adam20ss said...

See last week's SI for an article about how MLB isn't concerned about whether fans in the US tune into the WBC. This is about finding new markets. It can be ignored in the US and still be a huge success.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home