Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year

I just returned from my fiance's house, where we opened the engagement gifts that people have already sent. This is quite nice of people. Some people whom she knows sent gifts to her house with cards that read, "Jennifer and fiance." I think it's lovely that these people were so zealous about gift giving that they had to send something over within the first week. Perhaps this same zeal could have been applied to the process of finding out my name before writing the card. Just a thought.

Anyway, the whole process is kind of depressing. I come into a room with a table full of gifts - my gifts - and I naturally get excited. I'm having flashbacks to my childhood birthdays and thinking that maybe somebody got us "Jordan vs. Bird" or a new Mets hat or something. I wasn't counting on seven different implements with which to cut into a lasagna. This is much less exciting than Nintendo games. I'm registering at Funco land, I don't care what anybody says. Does that place still exist? You know, they always advertised that you could just go in there and play any game you wanted, but it wasn't really that easy. A clerk had to get it for you, there was a limit, you didn't have a chair - eh, not as cool as it seemed on the commercials. So maybe I won't register there. But I am registering at Mets Clubhouse, and I don't give a damn what anybody says.

Enough of that. I heard a soundbite on the radio tonight, which was Shaun Alexander saying that he doesn't care that much about winning the rushing title. So I guess that was a different Shaun Alexander who had a JFK-like conspiracy theory as to why he was unjustly deprived of the rushing title last year? Speaking of the Seahawks, if you haven't done this, take a look at their season-by-season standings on football-reference or something. You have never seen so many 7-9s and 9-7s in your life. It's really unbelievable.

Ok, you caught me. I'm stuck today, I really don't have much to say in the way of baseball. I was going to do some clever little New Year's resolution type of thing. But I didn't know exactly what that meant. Maybe inspiration will strike me tomorrow on that. I refuse to comment on the 11 way rumored trade involving Manny, Tejada, Danys Baez, and about 32 other disgruntled players throughout professional sports. One of the reports I heard had Ron Artest ending up with the Red Sox, so I'm not sure. Either way, when something like that actually goes down, that's the time to waste brainpower on its analysis.

Did anybody else catch the article about the Joe Randa signing on the Pirates website? Big points for unintentional comedy there (with a nod to Sir William Simmons for use of that phrase). The headline? "Pirates Add Randa, Continue Overhaul." Man, that is a shitty overhaul when Joe Randa is a key part of the process. But in the words of the immortal Lavar Burton, you don't have to take my word for it - the words of the article will do just fine: "By signing Randa and veteran right-handed reliever Roberto Hernandez to free agent deals and trading for first baseman Casey and southpaw reliever Damaso Marte, Littlefield has addressed three of his four primary offseason objectives at third base, first base and the bullpen." Dear Lord. That is the worst collection of talent passing as an "overhaul" that I've ever seen. A 3B with no power, a 41 year old reliever, a 1B with even less power, and another reliever coming off a bad year. Watch out NL Central, the Pirates are back! Jesus.

Randa was a Pirate before, in 1997. The Pirates stayed in contention that year through Sept, not because they were good (they finished under .500), but because the Astros were not good. Randa's thoughts on that season? "I have not come across an experience like '97 yet in my career." That's just so sad I feel guilty joking about it. It's kind of uncomfortable to read. It's like if your friend were lamenting that his short-lived, lukewarm relationship that ended years ago with a homely and uninteresting girl was the best thing that ever happened to him, you wouldn't even know what to say. It's just awkward and kind of creepy. Playing as many seasons as Randa has in Detroit and Kansas City turns you into that guy I guess.

1 Comments:

Blogger adam20ss said...

Don't forget, Randa was a Met for about 2 weeks one offseason.

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home