Sunday, January 08, 2006

Kids in the Hall

Anybody seen that show? It's like the Canadian Saturday Night Live. No, I'm sorry, it's like the Canadian Mad TV. Except remember that one time you laughed at something on Mad TV? Yeah, pretend that didn't happen, and then you have Kids in the Hall. Just stick to hockey and government funded healthcare, ok Canadians?

Anyway, as I said, I'm going to talk about this year's hall of fame potentials. So let's begin:

Hal Morris had 1216 hits and 73 career homers. While this puts him somewhat behind other sluggers hoping to get into the hall, he placed 15th in the 1994 NL MVP voting. He is most similar to Sean Casey, John Kruk, and Tom Paciorek, which might help his case. I'm going to say that Morris will fall short for now, but perhaps the voters will rethink his case in 2008, after Gwynn, Ripken, and McGwire get in next year.

If I were Andy Kaufman, I would actually continue with what I just did for Gregg Jeffries, Gary Gaetti, Gary DiSarcina, et al until all of you stopped reading this. (Ooooh, that's an idea for the next time I'm really stuck; I'll just post the entire Great Gatsby here.) Anyway, if I were Andy Kaufman I'd also have wrestled Jerry Lawler and have died twenty years ago, so my whole schme would be terribly, terribly flawed. Ok, to a couple of real guys now:

Jim Rice. I've tried to rethink my position on Jim Rice, which was that he's not a hall of famer. And I've come to think that he's a little closer than I gave him credit for. 382 homers for his era does mean something. And I give deference to those who actually saw him play and attest to how feared he was. But Mike Schmidt played when Rice did; Schmidt passed 400 homers and 500 homers too. Dave Winfeld did it. Eddie Murphy did it. [1/9/06: I can't believe I wrote that last night, I'm so stupid. Obviously I meant Chris Rock] Reggie Jackson did it. Andre Dawson did it. Dave Kingman did it. So let's not make the 70s-80s into the dead ball era. I will nominate all 8 seasons in which he had 100 rbi as potentially "great," as well as 1982 when he had 97. Hell, I'll even throw in 1981, even thought 62 rbi in 108 games doesn't project to 100 over a full season. So that's ten possibly great seasons. But let's get real, they weren't all great. Maybe the number is more like seven, if that. And then Rice just totally dropped off at 34 and retired by 36. He wasn't great enough for long enough to afford such a young end to his productivity. It is no disrespect to Rice to say that he was feared and perhaps the best in the AL for a time. That's quite an accomplishment. But the hall of fame is for more than that. It's for the absolute greats. Jim Rice should be out.

I'm too tired for this right now. I'm not gonna just blow through five more half assed analyses since nobody will enjoy that. I wrote something though. The streak continues. I'll do more hall talk tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger adam20ss said...

I happen to think that Eddie Murphy's greatest accomplishment was "Coming to America," but now that I realize that he also hit 500 home runs, and as a switch hitter no less, I think all the more of him.

3:33 PM  
Blogger The Fades said...

hal morris reminds me of yoni wiesel. i dont know why

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home