Wednesday, February 01, 2006

February is here

Mishenichnas February Marbim B'Baseball. If you are one of my non-Jewish readers, sorry about that. I'll translate. It means, loosely translated, "hey fellow Jews, let's kill the Christian babies and use their blood in our Passover matzah."

Scared yet? Good. But hold off on that pogrom; the actual translation is, "when February enters, we increase the baseball." Far less inflamatory than my first offered translation, isn't it? Regardless, in any language, February is upon us, which means we are in the month of spring training. Now, that doesn't mean that today really feels different, or that there's anything worth discussing specific to today. But it's nice to know that we don't have to turn the calendar anymore to see the date for pitchers and catchers. In just a few weeks our favorite players will be in Florida and Arizona, gearing up for baseball 2006. In just a month we'll get exhibition games. The first step toward the new season begins on February 1st - relish it. We are just weeks away from reports on position battles, who's looking healthy, who's swinging a hot bat, and which non roster invitees are impressing. And just areound the corner, a full season sits ahead of us, waiting to be played, waiting for the drama of 162 games + October to unfold. Get excited my friends.

But let's face it, that doesn't mean there's anything to talk about today. So....birthdays it is!!! Again!!!! One birthday for February 1st. Cecilio Guante turns 46. Who remembers Guante? He was a reliever for the Yankees in 1987 and 1988. The Yankees acquired him and Rick Rhoden from the Pirates for Doug Drabek before the 1987 season, a trade often cited as one of the foolish Yankee prospect trades of the 1980s (Fred McGriff and Jay Buhner the other popular examples). As we know, Drabek won the 1990 Cy Young Award. I remember the 1990 season and remember Drabek winning the Cy Young Award. He had facial hair, and I remember thinking he must have been really old, like at least 50. I mean, facial hair, come on! I was in 2nd grade then, I didn't have any damn facial hair. Well I just checked, do you know how old Drabek really was in 1990? He turned 28 in June that year. I'm 24 now and have friends who are 25, 26. 28 doesn't seem all that old anymore. Which makes me realize: hey, I'm old. Shit.

Ok then, that's what I've got for you. I'm holding off on assessing the big Alex Gonzalez signing until it's official, I'm sure you'll understand.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man those early 90 Pirate Teams were something with Bonds Bonilla Andy Van Slyke and Drabek. They should have gone to the world series at least once. I HATE YOU BONILLA!!!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget Mets Killer John Smiley 10-3 w/ a 2.41 ERA as a Pirate.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My take on February, pitchers and catchers just a couple weeks away: I think the start of Feb is like waiting on a long line to go to a concert, and when Feb 1st comes you can see them starting to get ready to let people in. Then Feb 14 comes, pitchers and catchers, they start letting people in slowly, and you're happy, and soon everyone reports - its like they finally let you in to the place. But still, nothing's happening yet, and you're thinking "why was I so excited to get in? It just means I'm waiting somewhere else." And now the games start, it's the sound check, and you keep thinking maybe soon they'll start, but they won't. So you focus on something else - March Madness/Talk to friends - and pass the time until finally, the concert's starting.
And then, if you're a Mets fan, before too long your excitement and anticipation are gone, and you're hoping the next show will be better than the one you're watching.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home