Saturday, December 17, 2005

Minor thought

I'm studying for a final, so I only have time for a quick thought. But I said this thing was gonna be daily, and DAMNIT, daily it's gonna be!

The Mets signed Darren Oliver to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. Whenever these spring invites are offered, I wonder: are there actual invitations? Does it say "Mr. and Mrs. Fred Wilpon request the honor of your presence at their spring training facility, Port. St. Lucie, FL..." Is there a response card? Perhaps there's just an Evite to all the non-roster invitees at some point in February? The answer to all these is probably not, but I'd like to find out more about this. Let's all do some digging folks.

My other thought is that Darren Oliver has to be, statistically speaking, one of the absolute worst pitchers ever to set foot on the mound in my entire life. I mean this guy is awful. Have you ever seen his stats? Have you seen these things? Yikes. Career ERA of 5.07. And he was out of baseball for a year after failing to make the Rockies out of spring training last year. Last I checked, the Rockies don't exactly have a constant surplus of pitching. Man, is this guy bad. Makes you wonder just who else can expect a minor league contract this winter. Anthony Young? Jesus, Darren Oliver is terrible.

3 Comments:

Blogger adam20ss said...

An evite? A formal invitation? Man, somebody is fishing for ideas...

5:37 PM  
Blogger adam20ss said...

What bothers me about the Darren Oliver signing is this question: Doesn't his mere presence, by definition, mean that somebody else will lose preseason innings? It might be someone who could actually surprise management and play his way onto the major league roster or at least the 40-man roster.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, that invitation stuff is GOOD. ha ha, seriously. veery invitation. i'm gonna steal it.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home